Happy Kale Monday! Hope you all had a nice weekend. Not sure about all of you, but Monday is always a day when I am ready for a little detox. And there is no better way to eat healthy than with kale (or some hearty green). For those that read the first For The Love of Kale, here is Saren’s recipe from her blog, This Dynamic Life. Start your week off right, pick up something green on the way home (kale for the lucky Americans!) and enjoy the first Kale Monday recipe!
Spicy Lentils with Sweet Potatoes and Kale
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled and small diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped into small 1/4-1/2″ cubes
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 knob of ginger, chopped
- 1 bunch red kale, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (or, to taste)
- 3 cups vegetable (or chicken) stock
- Goat cheese, optional
- Whole grain bread, optional
- Heat the oil in a medium sized pot on medium heat.
- Once hot, add the onion, carrot and sweet potato and cook for about six minutes, until softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and kale and continue cooking until kale wilts.
- Add the lentils, bay leaf, rosemary sprigs, serrano pepper and stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes until lentils are tender and have absorbed most of the liquid.
- Season with salt to taste and remove the bay leave, and rosemary sprigs before serving.
- Sprinkle goat cheese over your bowl of warm, deliciousness and serve with grainy bread.
[adapted from http://www.eatliverun.com%5D